1. Educational Program for Kinglake West Camp 1954-55. AG.
2. Educational Program for Kinglake West Camp 1954-55. AG.
3. Haderech - June 1954. AG.
4. Haderech - December 1954 Cover. AG.
5. Haderech December 1954 - Article page 1. AG.
6. Haderech December 1954 - Article page 2 .AG .
7. The Songbook - 1954. AG.
8. Exhibition at Beth Weizmann, in part, promoting Betar camps. YES.
9. Exhibition at Beth Weizmann. YES.
13. Signatures of Kinglake West camp attendees. YES.
14. Ad for Sydney Betar camp exhibition - Gideon Herschberg - bugler. YES.
15. Kinglake West camp currency. SF.
Notes on the photos:
1. This is an extraordinary publication running to about 114 pages. It was the Educational Program (Tochnit Hadracha) for the camp at Kinglake West (1954-55). The theme was, "Know Your Land and People". There is an introduction by the Natziv J.E.Steiner who was also the Mefaked Machane. Although there is no acknowledgement of the author I believe it may have been Shimshon Feder because he was resposible for producing many educational publications at that time.
2. There are ten sections colour coded to last for ten days of camp.
3. Editor Theo Balberyszski; Sub-Editors Lionel Zeligman and Freda Lasher (what ever happened to them?). Sydney Editors Carla Roos and Larry Sitsky. Editorial mentioned that the 3rd Kene Artzi was now taking place. The back section contained another publication called Kol HaTzeira - The Voice of Youth. Editor was Alan Morris and sub-editors were G. Hershberg and S. Silverman. There were articles by David Salmon and Benzion Eisikovich.
4. Editor was T.Balberyszski and the Sydney Editor was Larry Sitsky.
5 & 6 P.Nutt was a pseudonym used by Philip Mirjam and R.Onn was Aaron Ninedek. We wrote several articles and songs together although Philip was the initiator and the brains of the pair.
7. There are two versions of the songbook, both of which were produced by South African Betar. The blue-covered one (pictured) is dated September 1954 and has about 60 duplicated pages with a few hand-drawn illustrations, English translation and transliteration using English alphabet but no Hebrew characters. The second version (with a beige cover) is over 100 pages long and is dated June 1960. It has better illustrations and most of the songs appear in Hebrew (with dots), transliteration using English alphabet and English translation.
9. Yosef Steiner, Tommy Rado, Adam Fliegelman, Rosette Landerer.
15. Camp currency used as “legal tender” for purchases at the camp canteen.. A novel educational idea introduced for the first time.
17. Opening Ceremonies, Melbourne, June 1954.
Back (L to r): Theo Balberyszski, Dr. M. Verstendig, Mr. S. Stock, Yosef Steiner, Dora Steiner, Jack Mirjam. Front: Benzion Eisikovich, Dianne Rubenstein and Gary Stock (backs to us), Anne Entenberg.
18. Dora Steiner, Yosef Steiner, Theo Balberyszski, Jack Mirjam, Shimshon Feder, Front: Carla Roos.
27. Visitors' Day - best camper awards - l to r: David ben David, Shimshon Feder, Yosef Steiner, Danny Rosing. Best camper: Raphy Lehrer! (receiving trophy).
28. Jack Mirjam - delivering a lecture to Melbourne and Sydney madrichim and B'nei Etzel.
35. Hashomer Hatza'ir's captured flag being proudly displayed on the truck ready for the hand-over at the Whittlesea Police Station.
36. Returning from the hand-over, showing the signs of a great victory, in march Theo Balberyszski, Jack Mirjam and Lionel Zeligman.
37. Dora Steiner. In this picture, Josef had sentenced her at dom for 2 days as punishment.
Never did find out what she did to deserve that.
38. Back l to r: Jack Katz, Benzion Eisikovich, Dennis Samolin, Eric Aufgang, Gary Rudzki, Barry Rawlins, Arthur Klepfiscz. Front l to r: Helen Katz, Freda Goldstein, Varda Eisikovich, Judy Wabnick, Freda Lasher. Very front - Henry Kranz.
39. Benzion Eisikovich, Henry Kranz, Anne Entenberg.
They were digging:
(a) the grease pit.
(b) a place to hide during Shmira.
(c) a grave for David Mayer's kangaroo? (You had to have been there).
43. Back: Anne Poszebucki, Frieda Mehr, Sandra Greenspan Front: Anne Entenberg, Miriam Shayer.
47. Betty Brisson, Shimon Hirsh, Freda Goldstein, Eric Aufgang, Annie Lew, Dennis Samolin.
48. Back row: Tommy Rado, Rosette Mirjam, Alan Morris, Freda Lasher, Philip Mirjam
Front Row: Benny Schneider, Aaron Ninedek, Adam Fligelman.
10. Exhibition at Beth Weizmann- Yosef Steiner examines an exhibit. YES.
11. Machoz Melbourne monthly newsletter. YES
12. Towlers Bay camp article. YES.
16. Camp Article by the WIZO Secretary, Nov. 5, 1954. YES.
17. 3rd Kenes Artzi. SF.
18. 3rd Kenes Artzi- Farewell to Carla Roos (centre, front). SF.
Reproductions from the collections of:
AG = Anne Goutman.
AN = Aaron Ninedek.
BR = Brian Rudzki.
EK = Evie Katz.
HBE = Henry Ben Ezra.
HMS = Harry M. Stuart.
JG = John Goldlust
LF = Leah Feder.
SA = Shimon Addess.
YES = Yosef E. Steiner.
19. Kinglake West- Visitors' Day dancing. YES.
20. Kinglake West- rope swinging. YES.
21. Kinglake West- Mark Rosshandler, Joe Wyman, Max Schneider. YES.
22. Kinglake West- Rope swinging article YES.
23. Kinglake West- Nudnik (Aaron Ninedek) and Rosette Landerer acting in the film. YES.
24. Kinglake West- More Visitors' Day dancing. YE.
25. Yes, more Visitors' Day dancing. YES.
26. Kinglake West- Leah Feder and Miriam Lubovsky. SA.
27. Kinglake West- best camper award presentation. SF.
28. Kinglake West. SF.
29. Kinglake West- Aaron Ninedek as 'Nudnik the Schmendrik Camper'. SF.
30. Kinglake West- 'On manoevres'. Shimshon Feder and Jack Mirjam. SF.
31. Kinglake West- Lunch Call. Foreground: Michael Neiger and Benzion Eizikovitch. SF.
32. Kinglake West- 162 Smiling Faces - the inspirtation for the website URL! JG..
33. Kinglake West- Garry Stock. LF.
34. Kinglake West- Ludwig Engel. LF.
35. Kinglake West- The Raid - 1. HMS.
36. Kinglake West- The Raid - 2. HMS.
37. Kinglake West- Mizdar. HMS.
38. Kinglake West- Kranz's Kanaim HMS.
39. Kinglake West Prep Camp. HMS.
40. Kinglake West- Henryk Kranz. AG.
41. Kinglake West Anne Entenberg. AG.
42. Kinglake West- Miriam Shayer, Gad Pedhazur, Shimshon Feder. AG.
43. Kinglake West. AG.
44. Kinglake West Prep Camp Henryk Kranz, Anne Entenberg. AG.
45. Kinglake West- Sam Offman, Henry Kranz. AG.
46. St. Kilda Beach- Adam Fligelman, Alan Morris. AG.
47. Dancing Group. BL.
48. Madrich Seminar Group. AG.
49. Fay Brisson, Theo Balberyszski, Annie Lew, Brian Rudzki. BL.
50. Crosslands- Brian Addess. SA.
51. Crosslands- David Cuckierman Peter Kichener, Johnny Zeigler, Henry Bishopverder. SA.
52. Crosslands- Larry Stitsky, Henry Kranz, David Cuckierman. SA.
53. Crosslands- Peter Wagner. SA.